Masterpiece

I recently found myself wandering through an art museum.   I’m not one to take a guide-book or an excessive amount of time going from painting to painting.  Instead I love to walk from room to room until I find something that stands out and speaks to me in a personal way.  Each painting I come across is unique and showcases a beauty all its own.

As I studied the various works, something occurred to me.

What is it that makes these pieces of art special?

Who decided that this portrait would hang in a heavily ornate, gold frame in the Smithsonian while other works gather dust?

How is its value determined?

Is it merely based on its aesthetic appeal?  (if that’s the case my little sister has some excellent submissions for the Smithsonian’s next exhibit)

Is it something else entirely?

As I was pondering these questions, I realized that people will spend millions of dollars on one piece of art because of one small stroke of the brush.

The signature.

The artist creates. The artist gives meaning.  It is because of who the artist is that value is affixed to a piece.  There may be other variables that play a part, but there is significantly more value affixed to a Rembrandt or Picasso than to the nameless piece one can purchase from the local street vendor.

The one who created the masterpiece matters.

If you found a painting in your attic, covered in dust, cobwebs clinging to its surface and the signature read Monet, would you throw it out? No way! Despite its current state, the value of the painting is clear because of the name sketched on it.

It’s the same for us.  We were each created by the ultimate artist.  Each designed to be a masterpiece, showcasing His infinite creativity.  Our value doesn’t lie in our spotlight, the accolades and attention we receive or the frame we have been placed in.  Our value lies simply in the one who created us.

You are valuable because God says you are.

“God looked over everything he had made; it was so good, so very good!” – Gen. 1:31 (MSG)

Signature

8 Comments on Masterpiece

1. Martha
    June 19, 2013 at 7:42 AM (4 years ago)

Truth! Thanks for sharing this, Hannah! Love you!

• lovealwayshannah
      June 19, 2013 at 7:44 AM (4 years ago)

Thanks for stopping by and reading it Martha! Love you! XOXO

2. Donna
    June 19, 2013 at 10:24 AM (4 years ago)

SO good Hannah…am thoroughly enjoying your blog.

• lovealwayshannah
      June 19, 2013 at 10:31 AM (4 years ago)

Thanks so much Pastor Donna! Means the world to me that you stop by. 🙂 I’m writing again because of your encouragement. Thanks for gently pushing me out of my comfort zone. So incredibly grateful for you and your leadership. You continually inspire me!

3. Caroline
    June 20, 2013 at 10:46 AM (4 years ago)

What awesome encouragement, Hannah! Could you imagine if we valued each other the same way we value these paintings? Love that I get the opportunity to pursue that kind of life alongside you 🙂

• lovealwayshannah
      June 20, 2013 at 10:52 AM (4 years ago)

Caroline! Such a great point. It’s such a privilege knowing you and getting to figure out what this kind of life looks like with you. You continually amaze me! Hope we can hang out again soon! Love you! XOXO

2Pingbacks & Trackbacks on Masterpiece

1. […] just a few posts that I feel like I’ve poured my heart into over the past year… “Masterpiece“, “Valleys“, “The Comparison Trap“, “Your Story“, […]

2. […] things it takes within you to do that one small action is mind boggling.  You are a work of art. A Masterpiece.  You were knit together in your mother’s womb by a divine craftsman. He doesn’t make […]